screw it i'll write them all here~
I prefer sketching traditionally but ink and colour i mostly use digital mediums like Paint Tool sai (4 years), Photoshop (13 years) or clip studio paint (2 months)
- Do you prefer traditional drawing, or digital?
I do also paint, almost exclusively in watercolour but it's very expensive and time consuming so i always tend to lean towards digital
Honestly i don't remember how long... i remember vaguely when i was little i hated it but then i drew something that looked okay and i just wanted to continue to improve... i'm guessing based on the fact that my memory of the time is so vague it happened around 7 years old.
- How long have you been drawing?
I took a few media arts classes in highschool and i went to Art college for a 3 year program... so quite a few though i still consider myself self taught... the stuff i learned in college was mostly to improve the things i had a difficult time with (painting/anatomy)
- How many classes have you taken?
Yes, i'm sure creative with my user name on DA... it's raichana...
- Do you have a DeviantArt, personal website, or art blog?
cause.... that pretty much my user name everywhere... i get a little sad if it's taken.
but yeah Raichana.deviantart.com
i used to have a personal website but i made it when i was 16 and i was no good at designing a new one so... yeah i don't have it anymore... maybe one day i'll get off my lazy bum and make a new one... honestly i'm not in any rush.
um... i think my favorite thing to draw is probably eyes, i don't know it's just really fun.
- What’s your favorite thing to draw?
Short male hair (like if it's spiky i'll just be a puddle of tears) and hands... though i am getting better at both.
- What’s your least favorite thing to draw?
because i have two monitors i will often pull up google image searches to see a lot of what i'm trying to draw but i almost never use one specific reference for any one thing. so i guess both a lot and not at all
- How often do you use references?
Considering i get paid for making art i do consider myself a "professional artist" however i still do a lot of stuff that could be considered "just for fun"
- Do you draw professionally, or just for fun?
it's a bit of a trick question since a lot of artists easily fall into both categories
when i'm not working i try to spend 3-5 hours a day on something art related... when i'm working i can only really spend an hour a day plus any days i get off.
- How much time do you spend drawing on an average day?
Depends on the piece, sometimes i'm super happy with something and i just want to shove it in everyones faces (those ones rarely get any attention) and others i just wanna bury in with all the other crappy pieces i produce (which of course get a lot of attention) so yeah... both decently confident and not confident at all.
- Are you confident about your art?
A few, mostly aggregate type art blogs so i see a lot of different styles
- How many art-related blogs do you follow?
yes but my process is practically just "throw more colour on it, theres not enough colour, MORE"
- Is it okay for people to ask you about your process?
If people pay me i will draw whatever they want (within reason, i have turned people down)
- Do you prefer to keep your art personal, or do you like drawing things for other people?
if I like you as a person and the thing in question takes less then 5 minutes i will do that for free....
but other then that... i pretty much exclusively draw what i want to draw... i'm too stubborn to be told what to do without the incentive of a payday
not often, i'm not against collabs but i'd rather just work on my own stuff.
- Do you ever collaborate with others?
3 hours depending on complexity. Something small like a chibi is 1-1.5 hours... same with a bust of half body. Full bodies are 2-3 if theres only one person, 3-4 if there are two and add up to 2 hours if it's extremely detailed.
- How long does an average piece take you to complete?
I know most people can spend 10 hours on a piece... i can't i go a little batty and want to move onto the next thing
granted i have spent as much as 8 hours on a piece.
but yeah the average is 3
Right this moment i draw less cause i'm working 12-13 hours a day 5-6 days a week (stupid film industry) however when i'm not working i draw way more then i used to.
- Do you draw more today than you did in the past, or do you draw less?
if i see something thats not right i'll point it out to people cause most artists hit a point where after looking at something for so long you can't see the mistakes anymore.
- Do you think you’re justified in giving other people art advice?
so i guess i feel justified in it... but i don't do it much because some people cannot take critique and i don't want to make people angry. that or they wont fix it no matter how many times i mention it so why waste my time.
poses, i'm getting too complacent with my poses.
- What are you currently trying to improve on?
same as the other question, short spiky male hair and hands. oh and i guess i have a hard time making things not pretty or cute....
- What is the most difficult thing for you to draw?
i mean i can but most of my stuff ends up cute.
Cute stuff, mermaids, fairies, anything i can throw a mountain of colours on.
- What is the easiest thing for you to draw?
yep, occasionally i'll be like "time to draw something you don't wanna draw"... i useually do this when i'm already in a 'art block' which is a term i don't really believe in but i understand why people use it.
- Do you like to challenge yourself?
I hope so, a lot of the time i feel like i'm just coasting at the same speed... or that i'm actually getting worse... btu occasionally i'll draw something and be like "wait.... was that really me? did i really do that?" and it feels great
- Are you confident that you’re improving steadily?
Depends, right now i'm in a fanart mood but i do try and keep it more original stuff with a sprinkle of fanart occasionally
- Do you draw more fanart, or more original art?
I used to feel jealous when i was little but going through college showed me that every artist is different and that doesn't mean any one person is better. So i just don't worry about what others are doing and continue to do my own thing. which is really freeing. plus sometimes my friends do some pretty cool shit
- Do you feel jealous when you see other people’s art, or inspired? (Be honest!)
Music... silence is bad.... bad bad silence.
- Do you like to draw in silence, or with music?
as mentioned before i mostly use Sai, touch ups in photoshop and if i'm doing a comic page i use clip studio
- For digital artists: what program(s) do you use?
1 for lineart
- For digital artists: how many layers does a typical piece require?
1 for shines
1 for each colour plus a posibility of 2-3 clipping masks
i've had as few as 8 and as many as 30... i try to keep it small
pencil and watercolour
- For traditional artists: what medium do you like most? (Pencil, charcoals, etc)
pencil, then i'll use either inking pens or a brush with india ink before i get to painting.
- For traditional artists: How do you usually start on a big piece? (Light sketch, colored lead, sketchpaper, etc)
The people are me... i want to show those who think i can't make it work that screw you i can do what i want with my life... and those that support me i want to show that they were right in giving a chance...
- What inspires you to not just make art, but to be a better artist?
but most of all i make art for myself, to vent to explore an emotion or just because it's fun. I love making art, nothing makes me smile more then completing something and being happy with the result.
so yeah... hope you enjoyed this thing no one asked for.
back to work~